Apple Fall Presentation Overview: What's New?
We recently wrote that Apple has released 3 beta versions of the operating systems for all of its major devices. And just a couple of days ago, Apple held its annual fall presentation. This time it was a pre-shot and edited video.
Tim Cook, as always, took the lead to hold the bulk. Employees of the company and even fitness trainers helped him to present individual products.
The presentation began with an introductory music video, then moved on to a short speech by Tim Cook, and unexpectedly continued with an update to the Apple TV + service, as well as upcoming series and show premieres.
But most of all, of course, everyone was expecting something different. So what has the company prepared this time, and have the expectations of numerous Apple fans come true? Let's watch (or rather read).
So, it will not be a revelation to anyone about which devices Apple revealed:
iPad was the first in the spotlight. As Tim Cook noted, last year sales of these devices grew by as much as 40%, which breaks all possible records. Therefore, it is not surprising that Apple has paid a lot of attention to this product this year.
And this is what users will get in the new version:
- First, iPads now come with the more powerful A13 Bionic chip. This means faster work and up to 20% more productivity than the previous model.
- The Neural Engine powers machine learning-based features.
- The operating system has also been updated. iPadOS 15 has received a lot of new functionality. For example, users can now add Quick Notes and enjoy the multitasking feature.
- Of course, improvements have also been made to photo / video shooting - both from the front and back cameras. iPad received a 12 MP Ultra Wide front camera with the Center Stage (this feature allows the device to automatically change the plan when people move in the frame during video calls or filming in various apps). The resolution of the Wide back camera is 8MP.
- Another major update is the 10.2-inch Retina display with True Tone technology for crisp, sharp images.
- And the battery of the device is now enough for the whole day.
The new iPad starts at $329 for 64GB of storage. A 256GB version is also available.
According to the presentation, the iPad's younger brother, iPad mini, has undergone “the biggest changes in history”. From the developers it got:
- New slim and lightweight design with reduced frame and 8.3-inch display.
- The Liquid Retina display with True Tone technology and improved flash for low-light performance sits across the entire front panel.
- The Touch ID button has moved to the top panel for more convenience.
- The powerful A15 Bionic chip and Neural Engine have resulted in a 40% increase in CPU performance and a whopping 80% increase in GPU performance over the previous generation.
- Ultra-wide-angle front camera with 4K video and Spotlight, same as iPad.
- Type-C port for charging and synchronizing with a computer.
- And stereo speakers and 5G support are the icing on the cake.
The new iPad mini comes in 4 colors. Prices start at $499.
Apple Watch Series 7
From the very first phrases of Tim Cook, it became clear that in the new 7 series watches on WatchOS 8 the developers focused on expanding the functions related to health and activity.
- So, for example, there are new features for cyclists - e.g. a reminder to record at the start of a race, an automatic pause, and the Fall detection feature.
- In addition, new Apple Watch owners are offered 3 months of free use of the Apple Fitness+ app. With the help of this service, you can not only get access to a variety of exclusive workouts - from Pilates to cycling, with the ability to track key indicators on the screen in real time, but also organize group workouts via FaceTime.
- Apple Watch Series 7 is the toughest watch in the lineup. The glass is more resistant to impacts and falls, and is also able to withstand immersion to a depth of 50 meters.
- In terms of appearance, the Retina display is now 20% larger than the previous generation. The frame has also become smaller
- The buttons in many apps, on the contrary, have become larger, and more text now fits on the screen.
- A new on-screen QWERTY keyboard has been added.
- Advanced chargers allow you to reach 80% charge in just 45 minutes.
Apple Watch Series 7 is available in 5 new colors. Sales are not yet open, but by the end of autumn, the watch will be available for purchase for $399.
iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini
Perhaps the most anticipated part of the presentation is iPhone 13. The new generation is available in two variants: iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini.
- To begin with, the design has remained almost unchanged - all the same flat edges and an aluminum frame. Only the colors of the case have changed, now 5 are available options.
- Apple also increased the strength of the glass and the water resistance which now reaches IP68.
- The new models will run on the A15 Bionic chip with more powerful processors: 6-core CPU and 4-core GPU.
- The larger battery size provides 1.5-2.5 hours longer battery life.
- The Super Retina XDR display is 28% brighter than iPhone 12. Maximum brightness up to 1200 nits.
- In addition to the fact that two 12MP cameras (including Ultra Wide one) now have a new position on the body, they also got an improved sensor, which provides brighter, clearer photos and videos with less noise, as well as better photo quality in night mode.
- Another significant innovation that will be appreciated by video enthusiasts is the Cinematic mode, which automatically changes focus and blurs the background.
- The new antennas expand the possibilities of high-speed data transmission, allowing 5G to be used in 60 countries and regions.
The minimum memory size is now 128 MB, the maximum is 512 MB. The cost of the iPhone 13 in stores will be from $799, the iPhone 13 mini - from $699.
iPhone 13 Pro
The new iPhones of the Pro line, the 6.1-inch iPhone 13 Pro and the 6.7-inch iPhone 13 Pro Max, were introduced the latest
- The smartphones will be available in four colors, including the new Sierra Blue.
- Surgical stainless steel housing and Ceramic Shield front panel greatly increase the durability of the device.
- Like iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max are equipped with the fastest A15 Bionic chip. However, a 5-core GPU that can process graphics up to 50% faster makes it even more powerful.
- The new OLED Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion technology automatically changes frequency from 10 Hz to 120 Hz depending on the applications used.
- All 3 cameras (telephoto, Ultra Wide and Wide) have undergone changes. The new Ultra Wide camera allows you to shoot in Marco mode - both photo and video. Night mode is now available on all cameras. This will ensure your photos are bright and clear in any light. And the new telephoto camera has a 3x optical zoom. For even better pictures, Smart HDR 4 and Deep Fusion technologies are used. Like the iPhone 13, Cinematic mode is available.
- iPhone 13 Pro is the first Apple smartphone that can shoot ProRes video or Dolby Vision video (available later).
- Thanks to the new batteries, smartphones work 1.5-2.5 hours longer.
The Pro line now has a maximum memory capacity of 1TB. Smartphones will be available for $999 for iPhone 13 Pro and $1099 for iPhone 13 Pro Max.
This concludes Apple's presentation. By the way, Notify.Events is suitable for any device regardless of its OS. The main thing is that the messenger which you want to send notifications to is installed on this device, as well as that it has a SIM card - in case you choose to receive messages via SMS and / or voice calls.
And if you use Apple's smart home system, we hasten to please you: we recently added integration with Homebridge, software that allows you to combine Apple HomeKit with other IoT devices. With 2000 plugins, the service enables users to integrate with thousands of popular smart home devices that do not natively support HomeKit.